Our Attorneys are Effective Leaders in Courtroom Litigation
At The Swafford Law Firm, we believe that the practice of law is about identifying and meeting client needs. Unwavering dedication to generating exceptional results is reflected in the continued satisfaction of our clients.
• Case Western Reserve University – J.D. 1995, summa cum laude, Order of the Coif, Law Review
• University of Tennessee – B.A. 1992, summa cum laude, Phi Beta Kappa
Professional Associations & Memberships:
• American Bar Association
• Tennessee Bar Association
• Nashville Bar Association
• Transportation Lawyers Association
• Former Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals Judicial Clerk
• Williamson County Bar Association
• AV Preeminent Rating by Martindale-Hubbell
• “Best Lawyers in America”: Commercial Litigation and Litigation: Labor and Employment
• Recognized as a “Mid-South Rising Star”
• Nashville’s Best Lawyers – Commercial Litigation
• Best of the Bar Award – Small Firm Division
• Recognized as a Super Lawyer for Commercial Litigation
Ms. Swafford has been a litigator for 25 years in Tennessee and is experienced in bench and jury trials, arbitrations, and mediations. She has represented some of the biggest companies in the state including HCA Inc., Nissan of North America, Dollar General and Corrections Corporation of America. She practiced nearly 10 years with Bass, Berry and Sims, PLC, in Nashville, Tennessee where she was a partner in the litigation department and a practice leader for the Firm’s Intellectual Property and Technology Group.
She opened The Swafford Law Firm on June 15, 2009 and has enjoyed working with the fascinating clients she has the pleasure of representing.
Ms. Swafford and her husband have three sons and who are involved in many activities with church and school. Ms. Swafford is a Board Member of AGAPE and President of her neighborhood’s home owner’s association.
• Tennessee (state and federal courts)
• Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals
• Fifth Circuit Court of Appeal
• International Trade Court
Education & Experience:
- University of Tennessee (B.S. in Accounting 1990, magna cum laude)
- Concorde Technologies (Business Consultant, 1990-1992)
- Case Western Reserve University (J.D. 1995, cum laude, International Law Journal, Best Oralist, National Moot Court competition; McElhaney Trial Advocacy Award)
- Miller & Martin (Partner, Labor & Employment Department Chair, Transportation Team Leader, 1995-2011)
- Adams and Reese PLLC (Partner, Intersection of Business and Government Practice Group Leader, Government Investigations and White Collar Defense Team Leader, 2011-2021)
Tony’s practice is focused on complex litigation, government investigations and regulatory matters. He represents both private and publicly held companies, municipalities and non-profits in litigation involving intellectual property claims, securities and shareholder disputes, white collar criminal defense, unfair competition, class and collective actions, employment and non-compete disputes, and breach of contract claims. Tony has successfully tried cases to verdict in state and federal courts, and with arbitrators, across the country. He has also defended government investigations in the following areas: False Claims, Health Care Fraud, Consumer Protection, Bank Fraud, Securities Fraud, Intellectual Property and Computer Crimes, Environmental Crimes, Mail and Wire Fraud, Tax Violations, Immigration and Employment Law Violations involving civil and/or criminal penalties.
Tony also has extensive experience in regulatory matters with a number of state and federal agencies including the Department of Transportation (FMCSA, FRA, FAA), Department of Labor (EEOC, NLRB, WHD, OSHA), Department of Health and Human Services (CMS), Department of Homeland Security (ICE), National Labor Relations Board, and the Environmental Protection Agency. His DOT experience includes representation of motor carriers before FMCSA and providing regulatory advice in matters involving registration, compliance, safety, environmental, wage/hour and employment issues. He headed a team handling a nationwide class action involving a dispute in regulatory guidance between DOT and DOL in a matter pertaining to safety and health issues in the motor carrier industry. Tony’s ability to navigate a remedy through regulatory and governmental relations avenues allowed his client to reach a favorable resolution of an agency enforcement action and class action litigation. He was also lead counsel in a nationwide collective action under the Fair Labor Standards Act involving the Motor Carrier Act exemption.
Tony is a member of the Litigation Counsel of America (Fellow), the Association of Transportation Law and Policy (Membership Chair), the American Bar Association (White Collar Committee), the Transportation Lawyers Association, the Tennessee Bar Association, the Nashville Bar Association (Federal Courts Committee), the Williamson County Bar Association and the John Marshall Inns of Court. He has been listed as a top attorney for multiple years in Chambers and Best Lawyers and has been named as one of American’s Top Bet-the-Company litigators for the state of Tennessee.
In addition to his legal practice, Tony is the Executive Director of Sonrise Foundation, a 501©(3) he founded in 2018 to provide opportunities for underserved Tennessee youth. The foundation currently offers an advocacy program and educational opportunities for students in the Middle Tennessee area. Sonrise also partners with other non-profits with similar missions.
• University of Kentucky – J.D., 2011
• University of Kentucky – B.A., 2008, Political Science
Ms. Hart is an established attorney with the Swafford Law Firm and handles all types of litigation matters. She earned her undergraduate and law degrees from the University of Kentucky and was admitted to the Tennessee Bar in 2011.
In her spare time, Ms. Hart enjoys spending time with her husband, Brad and daughter, Ellie, as well as running and cooking.